header photo

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sanding, Sealing

Today I finished sanding the neck and the sides were some of the super glue dripped. I also learned that a "thin" super glue works better then the regular superglue. The thin superglue takes advantage of capillary action to literally be sucked into tight areas and penetrate sawdust better.

I sanded the neck using my makeshift radiused sanding block. I started with 120 then 220 then 400. I really did not remove much of the original fingerboard.

After sanding with 400 grit sand paper and cleaning with a wet rag.

After letting the fingerboard dry for 4 hours, I applied the first layer of sealant. I decided to use MINWAX's Polycrylic clear satin. I decided on this finish because it is suppose to provide durable protection. Hopefully it stands up to strings. It is also water based, quick drying, and not stinky. It actually smells like Windex. Anyway, one coat down, probably 3 more to go.

MINWAX Polycrylic satin finish, first coat.

Close up after first coat.

The neck looks good. The finish seems to match the existing finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment